header1.jpg header2.jpg header3.jpg
           

Texord

Tèxord is a city in Europe. The old city center is a walled medieval setting the first fort built on the interception of two rivers was built in the 8th century. North of the old city, there is the city centre which was inhabited before 1800. Industry brought wealth and mayor migration to the city, expanding with fabrics, docks and houses to the west and east.
 

1 History
1.1 Pre-1500
1.2 16-18th centuries
1.3 19th century
1.4 20th century
1.5 21st century
2 Municipality
3 Cityscape and architecture
3.1 Fortifications
3.2 Buildings, landmarks and museums
3.3 Modern and contemporary development
4 Demographics
5 Transportation
5.1 Road
5.2 Rail
5.3 Public transportation
5.4 Airport
6 Economy
7 Sport


1 History
1.1 pre-1500

In the twelfth century, this fort was partly destroyed, rebuilt and extended with a church. At the time, more people living on the southbank. There was a wall around the city built in the 14th century, which was nine meters high and over a meter wide. Till this date, the eastern part of the original defence system is still intact. By 1450, inside the walls, there was the city hall, the former king’s palace, a monastery, two churches and a lot of small alleys through all the people's houses.
 

1.2 1500 - 1799

In the sixteenth century, Tèxord was shorty the centre of Charles V’s empire. He decided the city had to expand and in 1550, he decided to build a castle two km north of the northern wall. When the castle was still in construction, Charles V died. Only a hundred years after the roads between the immense building and the old city were laid, the neighbourhood was filled. In the seventeenth century, there was a new church and city hall built along the long avenue between the Palace and the walled city. In the 18th century, there were as much people living north of the city as in the old town.
 

1.3 1800 - 1899

In the beginning of the nineteenth century, the new Tèxord houses were built in a grid with diagonals for the wealthy families. The blocks were up to six floors high and there were broad roads for the carriages with lots of little parks and small squares with bars. There was a new church and city hall built, along the long avenue between the Palace and the walled city.

South of the old city was a new, poorer neighbourhood called Little London, populated by much of the workers of the Docks, west to the old town. On the east of the city centre lay Bearington, a small village once but now encircled with newer apartments, in the same style as the north but less baroque.
 
In the second part of the nineteenth century, Tèxord was introduced to fabrics and spices which were delivered in Malay Corner and stored in Uton to be delivered throughout the continent. The city was known for the sailors and the workers, and what they brought to the city. As a major port in Western-Europe, the city was competing with Amsterdam and Antwerp.
 
Next to the heavy industry, there was a lot of wealthy citizens in the city. There was a big opera built by the mayor, that brought life to Sanderham. At the end of the century, a new monastery was built south-eastern of the old one. Trains went around the old city and had lots of stations, creating new plaza’s and nearly every station had its market.


1.4 1900 - 1999

Begin twentieth century, a new university was opened in the south of Old-Tèxord and a third theatre was added to the city centre. By the 1920s, there was a great interest in film and every neighbourhood had its own movie theatre. The Windy Hill became the area for the nouveau riche, providing stand-alone houses with nice gardens. In the 1930s, a new football stadium was built in Bearington. When the Second World war broke out, the construction of the newest neighbourhoods St Gery [northeast] and Walsington [northnortheast] had to stop.

After the World War, the need of new houses again appeared and bigger than ever before. A good amount of brutalist architecture was planted in the outskirt of the city, creating Flemmington [northwest] in the sixties and East-Tèxord in the seventies. Also, the old city had lost its importance, as the northern part of the city had more to offer and the walled town was hard to access by car. The new railroads were lain down in a hexagon around this area, making public transport the easiest way to travel.

At the end of the 1970s, plans were drawn to ban industry out of the city centre and slowly, the fabrics on either banks of the river were desolated. Most of the heavy industry clustered around the airport in the northwest of the city, but the government failed to decide on a clear plan of what had to be done with the factories, which resulting in lots of decay and squats. In the late 1990s, the government began converting most of the old fabrics on the banks to new housing and offices as more people wanted to live close to the centre again, rather than being on the outskirts of the city.
 

1.5 2000 - present

In the first ten years of the 21st century, new flats arose in the Docks and Udon turned into a financial district. In the 2010s, Udon extended even further and it has become an international hub for start-up and global technology companies.
In the meantime, the city expands steadily in the south and east.
 

2 Municipality

The town Tèxord became a city in the sixteenth century. The city hall was built in 1833, which has hosted the city's government and administration ever since. With the expansion of the city in the 20th century, new neighbourhoods were built around the old town and new centre - adding more and more boroughs. Since 2013, the city Tèxord is divided in twenty different areas which have their own town centre, primary and secondary schools, police station, fire station and administrations.

01 Airport
02 Flemmington
03 The Windy Hill
04 Walsington
05 Bell district ??
06 Sanderham
07 Palace
08 Uton
09 St. Géry
10 Malay Corner
11 Centrum Tèxord – city centre
12
13 Old Docks
14 Old Tèxord – old town
15 Bearington
16 New Monastry
17 Apprentice Court
18 Little London
19
20 East

 

3 Cityscape and architecture
3.1 Fortifications


The city originated on the island on the crossing of rivers, which remained the home of the government till the new cityhall was built. The fort was defended by different lords, dukes and counts throughout the history. In the 7th century, the first castle was built by Ebion, Mayor of the Palace, for the ruling Chlothar III. People from the hills around came to trade and soon the settlement gradually expanded, creating neighbourhoods on the south-, north and west bank of the triangular island.

In the 12th century, a wall was built around the town. During the middle ages, a fortress to defend the wall on the south bank was built in 1520 and the one on the northeast 1540. These were the major entries to the walled city. In the meantime, the original castle was rebuilt and two Gothic churches were built in the city, of which the biggest one still exists.
 

3.2 Historical buildings and landmarks


The wall around the old city hardly changed since 1800s. During the middle ages it was rebuilt a dozen of times, leaving parts of different centuries around the old town. Within the wall, construction restrictions are strict to retain the feel of the late-Medieval town, including window shutters, cobblestone streets, lampposts and

The Palace north of the city was planned by Charles V but only completed after he'd died. Because shortage of investment, it was done halfway in Renaissance style before the built was put on a hold in 1558. Only twenty years later, the first wing was added in a slightly different style, and onlyafter thirty years the second wing was constructed.

The two most famous churches of Tèxord are the Basilica of the Holy Mother [1650] and the St. John’s cathedral [1785] The first one is built within the walls of the old town and strong influenced by the classical architecture. The second one is a Baroque cathedral with dome, placed halfway on the large boulevard between the palace and the walled city. The opera house, another Baroque masterpiece, is also on the axe between the Walled city and the Palace and was completed in 1803.

Shortly before the turn of the 20th century, the city had need of a lot of houses to keep up with the high demand of the Industrial Revolution. East of the axe, the city planned terrased housing, based on Georgian houses, with Art Nouveau influences. Grids were laid out and open plaza's were incorporated in the design. These plaza's would function as markets, and were always surrounded by a governmental building and retail.
 

3.3 Modern and contemporary development


In the beginning of the twentieth century, the city expanded even more and based on their earlier expansions in small grids around the existing residential area's. The style of these new expansion was based on the brick expressionism and later, in the 1930s, Bauhaus and Art Deco influences were added in the richer area's.

After the second World War, several parts of the city had to be reconstructed and again more housing was to be built. Brutalism architects were to continue the city's planning and the two main projects were the Flemmington area in the north and the expansion to the East.
Both area's used high rises as well as apartment blocks, which were copied throughout the city where the war had demolished older buildings. The city council found contemporary cities' decision to construct complete neighbourhoods in one style dangerous and opted to go for certain styles in more, smaller, dispersed area's throughoug the city.

At the end of the twentieth century, the Uton area was turned into a business districts and within the first ten years, five skyscrapers over 150 meters high built.
 

4 Demographics


Since Tèxord became known for its harbour, its population has always been a mix of locals, travellers and workers. The largest immigrant populations at present are from Suriname, Indonesia, Poland, Democratic Republic of Congo, Italy, Malaysia, Turkey and Morocco.

1600 10.000
1700 50.000
1800 80.000
1850 200.000
1900 500.000
1950 600.000
1975 900.000
2000 1.200.000

 

5 Transportation
5.1 Road


There is a six lane high way around the main city called R11, with two branches enter the town of which one is a eastern of the city on the north-south axe and one penetrating the west side of the city centre. The old town is not accessible for vehicles without permit. The streets are mostly of cobblestone, as is the same with parts of Old London.

There is good portion of cycle lanes throughout the city. In the 19th century, cycles were the main transport used in the city. With the introduction of the car, the mayor made sure the cycles would be protected and also in the neighbourhoods that were built later, cycle lanes were integrated in the infrastructure.
 

5.2 Rail


In 1873, the first two train stations opened, one south and one north of the city centre. In the first part of the 20th century, the network was gradually extended, and new stations were opened around the city. Nowadays, there are six mayor stations around the city centre. Clockwise from northeast: Uton east, Uton south, Bearington Station, Tèxord Center, Malay Corner, Sanderham Station. The most frequently used rails come from the North and East to city, as well as from the South. To the west of the city is the industrial area, resulting in more cargo based railways on the east of the city.
 

5.3 Metro, tram & bus


Next to the rail system, the Tèxordian public transport consists of metro's, trams and buses. There are four metrolines in total, two running up and down on a north-south-axe, one running on a east-west-axe and the last one crisscrosing underneath the town. The red line runs north-south underneath the center and was opened in 1959. The east-south line, also underneath the center, is coloured blue and opened in 1960. The purple line, opened in 1980, zigzags through the city and connects the other lines with each other and with the rail. In the East of the city, parallel to the red line, runs the yellow line that was opened in 2007.

Most of the trams that Tèxord used to have are no longer in use. A tramline in the south still remains, connecting Little London to the Old Town, and in the north, connecting Sanderham with the Old Town. Other trams were abandoned mainly due to the regeneration that followed on the moving from the industrial area outside the city. Parts of the tramrails were turned into the hexagonal railway around the centre.

Texords Buses have been orange since 1982. Beforehand, three different companies covered different parts of the city but due to the recession, they fused their companies and turned into one organisations. The three companies had been red, blue and grey and as a neutral choice they opted for a lively orange.
 

5.4 Airport


In the northwest of the city, there is a small airport, which is used for people as well as cargo. Built in the 1980s, it has an easy link to industrial area which is just south of the airport. Also, charter and seasonal flights to over twenty destinations are serviced by Vueling, Ryanair, Transavia and TUI Airlines.
 

6 Economy


Throughout its history, Tèxord grew from the benefits of being a port. After the WWII it changed and the industry moved westward out of the city. The well maintained old city proved a tourist attraction, resulting in plenty of hotels and restaurants throughout the city. With over six million visitors a year, it has become one of the favourite European destinations.

Since 1980s, several international media installed their head offices in the Uton district, followed by a wave of intercontinental trade companies. With the beginning of the new millennium, and the expanding need for tech, Tèxord turned out to be a good vantage point and multinationals built acres of the old Uton depots to turn into a new business district.
 

7 Sport


Tèxord is most known for its football team DS Devils '07, which has its home stadium in Bearington. The stadium was built in 1948 and currently has a capacity of 45000 people.

Another favourite sport is badminton, which is taught at all secondary schools to keep up with their high history. Tèxord has had the best badminton teams of Europe throughout the 70s and 80s and three world champions have played in the city.

Also, cycling is a popular sport in the city thanks to the velodrome that was built in the 1930s. Having hold the European championships multiple times and the World championship in 1974 and 1988, the velodrome put Tèxord on the map in cycling.

In the 1980s, skateboarding had been present in the squats in the Old Docks and gradually won popularity. It wasn't until 1988, when XYVSO won a prestigious game in the UK that the created subculture got regosnistion. In 2003, one of Europe biggest skateparks was built in the New Monestry neighbourhood.
 

8 Higher education

The University of Texord was established in 1908 and consisted of four faculties: Science, Medicines, Society and Economy. First buildings were south of the Old City, built in a similar style as the City Centre that was built thirty years prior. In the 1960s, the university expanded heavily in the south with brutalist sky scrapers. Nowadays, only the social faculty is still in the south. The other three faculties in the north, deliberately close to the hospital in The Windy Hill and the Uton district.

contact

a cufnosed circus

billy navrovski